October 28, 2020, Bolivar, TN: As most of you are aware, we have been busy lighting pilot lights in our coverage area for the last month. As fall fades into the winter and the temperatures drop, we would like to share some safety tips with our customers.
All homes with natural gas service should be equipped with working carbon monoxide alarms. Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the "invisible killer." Carbon monoxide is a invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide(CO) alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for placement or CO alarms. Choose a CO alarm that is listed by a qualified testing laboratory. Alarms should be tested monthly and replaced according to manufacturer's instructions.
If you have an alarm installed and experience an audible trouble signal, first check the battery. If the battery is low, replace it. If your alarm continues to sound, please call 9-1-1. If your alarm sounds and a low battery is not the cause of the alarm, you should immediately evacuate the premises. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for and remain outside the home until emergency personnel declare that it is safe to re-enter the home.
For more detailed information on carbon monoxide alarms, please visit the Public Awareness section of our website.